The foundation exam is the amateur radio licence entry level and must be passed before sitting the intermediate exam, which in turn must be passed before sitting the advanced exam. However, conditional on having completed the practical elements to the satisfaction of a registered assessor, it is possible to arrange to sit them all in the same order on the same day but each must be passed before sitting the next.
FAMILY BRIEFING NOTE
The RSGB publishes a series of books covering the syllabus for all three levels available for ordering on-line from its Training Catalogue web page.
- ‘Foundation Licence NOW!‘ is the manual relevant to the foundation exam.
- The revision manual ‘amateur radio Exam Secrets’, relevant to all three exams, contains useful additional information including several sample question papers and answers for all three levels.
- Other books aimed helping the beginner can be ordered on-line from the Beginners Catalogue.
Note: Post publication updates and corrections to the books listed above can be found on the Books Extra page.
The syllabus (in PDF format) for each of three exams can be downloaded from this web page.
OTHER INFORMATION SOURCES
- The RSGB Training Resources web page has links to other training resources for each of the three levels.
- The RSGB web page Getting Started in Amateur Radio includes sections on operating procedures & etiquette, antennas, setting up a station, propagation and more for the beginner.
- Amateur radio Licensing Information from the regulator Ofcom
- Wikipedia Q Code List includes a section used in Amateur Radio and the Morse Code.