Thurrock Acorns Amateur Radio Club
WHAT IS AMATEUR RADIO? Our leaflet gives a brief overview the hobby.
THE CLUB is located 20 miles (32 kilometres) east of London, England, near Grays town center in the county of Essex.
- Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) This year the club is planning on supporting two stations for Thurrock Scouts over the weekend of 18th & 19th October 2014, one in Grays the other in Corringham.
- World Thinking Day (WTD) Next year the club is planning to run a station for The Guide Association on Sunday 22nd February 2015 in support of the event. For more about WTD please visit the WTD Website.
- GB2EWT (Essex Wildlife Trust) The club operated an SSTV station, an HF station, a VHF station and a dedicated CW HF station on Sunday 20th July 2014 at the Essex Wildlife Trust’s Thameside Nature Park (Mucking, near Stanford-le-Hope), following the opening of a new play area near the visitor centre.
- GB6BWS (Big Wild Sleepout) The club operated stations on the HF, VHF and UHF bands at the RSPB Rainham Marshes Nature Reserve over the weekend of 21st & 22nd June 2014. You can read about the GB6BWS station in the article written by Pete (M0PSX) for Essex Ham.
ANYONE INTERESTED in any aspect of Amateur Radio from shortwave listener to experienced operator is invited to apply for membership. Come to a meeting and if you want to join ask the Membership Secretary for a Member details form or download a copy. Visitors from other clubs are welcome.
MEETINGS ARE held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month.
NEXT MEETING will be Tuesday the 16th of September 2014 (see below for the subject of the talk).
The doors will be opened for a 20:00 start until 22:00. Details of the venue can be found here.
2 METRE NET each Thursday at 19:45 starting on 145.500 MHz and moving to a clear frequency.
MEETINGS WILL often feature a talk, a demonstration or a discussion on one of the following topics:
- CONSTRUCTION (techniques and projects) by Carl (G3PEM) – 16th September 2014
- METEOROLOGICAL BALLOONS – Provisionally 21st October 2014
- SSTV (Slow Scan TV)
- DX (long distance (outside Europe) communication)
- CW (Morse Code)
- OPERATING PRACTICES (Etiquette, Q codes, band plans etc)
- ASTRONOMY (optical and simple radio telescopes)
- MOON BOUNCE
- COMPUTER PROGRAMS
- FIELD DAYS
- FOX HUNT (Amateur radio direction finding)
PREVIOUS MEETINGS featured the following topics:
- QRP (low power operation) by Dave (M0TAZ) – 21st January 2014
- RAYNET (Radio Amateurs’ Emergency Network) by Roland (M0BDB) – 18th February 2014
- DATA MODES (RTTY, PSK, MFSK, D-STAR etc) by Pete (M0PSX) – 18th March 2014
- MARINE RADIO (development of ships radio from the early days) by Carl (G3PEM) – 15th April 2014
- RSGB (the benefits, resources and support it provides to members & clubs) by Steve (M1ACB), Roland (M0BDB) & Keith (G7CIY) – 20th May 2014
- FREQUENCY, WAVELENGTH & MODE (part of a Back-To-Basics series) by Dave (G4AJY) – 17th June 2014
- ANTENNAS & FEEDERS (Simple and more complex systems) by Tony (G4YTG) – 15th July 2014