THURROCK ACORNS Amateur Radio Club G4HKO/GX4HKO* is based near Grays town centre in the county of Essex, 20 miles (32 kilometres) east of London, England meets on the third Tuesday of each month, from 8pm until 10pm.
WHAT IS AMATEUR RADIO? Our leaflet gives a brief overview the hobby.
WHAT IS DV RADIO? Digital Voice Radio. The future of amateur radio may well be to move from analogue to digital. The three major commercially available systems are:
- D-STAR (Digital Smart Technologies for Amateur Radio) mainly from iCOM
- DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) mainly from Motorola
- System Fusion from Yaesu
However, there is also free software (completely open source) FreeDV digital voice for the HF bands.
FOUNDATION TUITION The club is intending to start a foundation licence course soon. Register interest by using this form.
INTERESTED IN JOINING? Come to a meeting as a visitor, have a cup of tea or coffee, a biscuit and a chat. If you decide to join ask the secretary for or download the Member details form. Visitors from other clubs are welcome to pop in and say hello.
TOPICS FOR 2015 MEETINGS
- QUIZ NIGHT and social evening with Bring ‘n’ Buy table – 18th of August
- RASPBERRY PI, an introduction by Peter G0DZB – 15th of September
CLUB EVENTS FOR 2015
- JAMBOREE ON THE AIR (JOTA) – 17th-18th of October
PROVISIONAL TOPICS FOR 2015/16 MEETINGS
- SOCIAL EVENING
- ATV (Amateur Television)
- ASTRONOMY (optical and simple radio telescopes)
- MOON BOUNCE (using the surface of the moon to increase the signal distance)
- FOX HUNT (Amateur radio direction finding)
PROVISIONAL EVENTS FOR 2015/16
- BLETCHLEY PARK visit
- TRAINING SESSIONS
- RSPB Rainham Marshes Reserve
- FIELD DAYS
- HMS BELFAST operating day
- KELVEDON SECRET NUCLEAR BUNKER visit
- HAMFEST visit
- DIRECTION FINDING