THURROCK ACORNS Amateur Radio Club G4HKO/GX4HKO* is based near Grays town centre in the county of Essex, 20 miles (32 kilometres) east of London, England meets on the third Tuesday of each month, from 8pm until 10pm.
WHAT IS AMATEUR RADIO? Our leaflet gives a brief overview the hobby.
WHAT IS DV RADIO? Digital Voice Radio. The future of amateur radio may well be to move from analogue to digital. The three major commercially available systems are:
- D-STAR (Digital Smart Technologies for Amateur Radio) mainly from iCOM
- DMR (Digital Mobile Radio) mainly from Motorola
- System Fusion from Yaesu
However, there is also free software (completely open source) FreeDV digital voice for the HF bands.
INTERESTED IN JOINING? Come to a meeting as a visitor, have a cup of tea or coffee, a biscuit and a chat. If you decide to join ask the secretary for or download the Member details form. Visitors from other clubs are welcome to pop in and say hello.
FOUNDATION LICENCE TUITION To enquire or register interest use this form.
TOPICS FOR 2015 MEETINGS
- RASPBERRY PI, an introduction, by Peter G0DZB – 15th of September
- MOON BOUNCE by John G4SWX – 20th of October
- WORKED ALL BRITAIN (continued), by club member John G4LTH – 17th of November
- SOCIAL EVENING – 15th of December
CLUB EVENTS FOR 2015
- JAMBOREE ON THE AIR (JOTA) – 17th-18th of October
- ESSEX 2m and 70cm FM ACTIVITY – 28th of November times to be confirmed
- FOX HUNT (Amateur radio direction finding) – a date in December to be confirmed
PROVISIONAL TOPICS FOR 2015/16 MEETINGS
- ATV (Amateur Television)
- ASTRONOMY (optical and simple radio telescopes)
PROVISIONAL EVENTS FOR 2015/16
- BLETCHLEY PARK visit
- RSPB Rainham Marshes Reserve
- FIELD DAYS
- HMS BELFAST operating day
- KELVEDON SECRET NUCLEAR BUNKER visit
- HAMFEST visit